Salty Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream
- 2 egg yolks1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon PLUS a pinch fine sea salt
- 2 heaping tablespoons light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch EACH: ground cloves, freshly grated nutmeg
- ¾ cup peeled, diced, firm apple
- To make the ice cream base, whisk together egg yolks and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl, until thick and golden-yellow.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine heavy cream, whole milk and a pinch of fine sea salt; cook for about 5 minutes, stirring; do NOT let the mixture boil. Remove from the heat; whisking constantly, gradually pour ¼ cup of the cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Gradually whisk in another ¼ cup of the cream mixture, then pour the newly combined mixture back into the saucepan, whisking as you go. Cook over medium-low heat, until the temperature of the mixture registers 170 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
- Whisk in light brown sugar, ground cinnamon, a pinch EACH of ground cloves and freshly grated nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl; discard any solids. Cool, cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to overnight.Pour the cold ice cream base into a frozen ice cream maker; churn according to the manufacturer’s directions. After the first 20 minutes, add the peeled, diced, firm apple, then continue to churn.
- Once the ice cream has reached a soft-serve consistency, transfer it to a freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
Makes 2 to 4 servings (1 pint)