Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
A real crowd-pleaser: creamy vanilla ice cream loaded with chunks of (eggless) chocolate chip cookie dough.
You have full control over how large or small the chunks of cookie dough will be but my suggestion is to keep them bite-sized and plentiful so there will always be doughy goodness in every bite.
For the Ice Cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (or chocolate chunks)
Prepare the Ice Cream Base
- Whisk the eggs yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until thickened and pale yellow, set aside
- Warm the milk, 1 cup of the heavy cream and the salt in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, then increase the heat to medium
- Bring the milk mix to a gentle simmer and slowly pour into the egg yolks and sugar mixture, whisking constantly. When combined fully, scrape back into the saucepan
- Thicken the custard using the stovetop method
- Pour the custard through the fine-mesh sieve and allow to cool slightly
- Stir it the remaining 1 cup whipping cream and the vanilla extract and cool completely, using a ice bath if desired. Stir occasionally, until the mixture is cool.
- Cover and transfer the custard to the refrigerator until completely chilled, at least eight hours or overnight
Prepare the Cookie Dough
- Combine the butter and both sugars in a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes
- Add the cream, vanilla and salt, and mix for another minute or so, until combined
- Scrape the sides of the bowl, then reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour, mixing just until incorporated
- Using a rubber spatula, gently stir in the chocolate chips
Churn the Ice Cream
- Just before churning the ice cream, scoop the cookie dough into ½-teaspoon to 1 teaspoon-sized balls and place on a plate or parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the freezer.
- Churn the ice cream according to the manufacturer's instructions
- When finished churning, fold in the chunks of cookie dough and transfer to an airtight container. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.